Flemington Racecourse
Today we attended the Black Caviar Lightning Stakes Day at Flemington Racecourse. It was a gift to my mum and her partner for Christmas - a four course lunch (Peter Rowland always do a fantastic job) in the Atrium in the Members stand with a great view of the track and races. Mum and Ray had a great day on the punt, my husband Robbie finished about even and I, well I stay away from the betting element (I hate losing!) We were there for the entire nine race card, but I love when a day at Flemington doesn't feel long as you are enjoying the racing, the food and surrounding to care about the time. Evidence of a lovely day.
Robbie is a Victoria Racing Club member so he is there for every meeting (literally - he hasn't missed a meeting in 4 years). I am there for most of those and I adore getting dressed up and having a fun day out. Flemington is such a great venue, and the variety in facilities and events the VRC put on for their 30,000 strong membership keep us coming back (cocktail parties, high teas and young members events, and of course the Spring Carnival).
Spring Carnival is an AMAZING time at Flemington, (my favourite time of year, better than Christmas) but the Autumn carnival is a terrific and underrated event on the Melbourne calendar. The racing is of a high quality featuring the Black Caviar Lighting Stakes day, Australia Guineas and Super Saturday at Flemington. But there is around a third of the crowds there, and lots of great activities on around the course. Think the fun, good weather and great racing without the queues to get drinks and to go to the bathroom. Winning!
This place has another special meaning... Robbie and I were married here over 5 years ago. Such a fantastic wedding venue! We had so many great photo opportunities around the course and convenience of our guests only having to attend one venue - a really important factor to us. This made Flemington a really easy choice for us.
We were married in the Champagne Bar (was supposed to be the Parade ring - but a 16 degree day with wind and rain were not conducive of an outdoor wedding). Typical Melbourne in November. The reception followed in the Members Dining room, it has such a romantic feel with the blue velvet drapes and wood panel detailing, it is rich in history and romance. A wonderful day, we are lucky enough to be reminded of it every time we return.
I'm sure I will post on another great race day soon...
I'm sure I will post on another great race day soon...
Visit Flemington Racecourse
Visit Victoria Racing Club
Megan x

No comments:
Post a Comment